Has someone given you a gift recently? Donated hand-me-downs for your kids? Bought products from you that you sell? Donated money to your fund-raising cause? Sponsored an event for you?
Did you ever write this person a THANK YOU card?
Over the last 10 years, I have donted money to almost every charity my friends have approached me about, I have given clothes and toys to expecting parents, sponsored luncheons for organizations, bought every product my friends and neighbors sell to help support them, given wedding and birthday gifts to people coast-to-coast…and how many of them have sent a hand-written THANK YOU card to show appreciation and gratitude? Very few of them!
Does anybody say THANK YOU anymore?
I told my husband about a month ago that I just don’t want to give anybody any more money toward fund-raising causes because for someone to happily take my money and not have the decency to write a THANK YOU (especially during tough economic times) is simply unacceptable. A box of THANK YOU cards Target only costs $5. It takes 2 minutes to write a thank you card. There is no acceptable excuse why this is not being done.
Several years ago, I received a phone call from one of my colleagues Brooke LeBlanc. She needed help in the field so I spent 15-20 minutes helping her on the phone. No big deal. I didn’t think anything of it. Well, the next week I received a hand-written THANK YOU card from her saying how much she appreciated me taking the time to help her. I will never ever forget that!
THANK YOU Do’s and Dont’s
1. An automated THANK YOU email does not count.
2. Spam thank you’s (sending a thank you email to 50 people all at once) does not count.
3. Individual thank you emails for gifts, fund-raising, product buying or anything that involves an exchange of money does not count
NO NOT USE EMAIL AS A WAY TO SAY THANK YOU
4. Always hand-write and personalize your thank you cards
5. If you send mass THANK YOU’S for business purposes, have the sender hand-sign the letter.
PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO YOUR FRIENDS AND COLLEAGUES.